Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Easy Rustic Shim Star Garland

Hey everyone! I'm feeling so inspired to decorate differently this year and to add Christmas cheer to every finished or (almost finished) space in our new to us farmhouse!

I have a list of simple and inexpensive holiday crafts to share with you all in the coming weeks, and these rustic stars are the first in this series.




These are SO easy! I literally had them done and hung in less than an hour, and on a Monday morning even...without coffee!



Here's what you need: a package of shims (they are only about $4 at the home improvement store), paint or stain (optional, but I used a white pickling stain to tone down the natural wood tones a bit), a hot glue gun, twine and scissors.

I started by staining the front of the wood pieces and let them dry.



Then, I positioned them into the shape of a star (it's best to have a thin end connect to a thick end) and hot glued them. Note: I also hot glued them in a couple of other spots towards the middle just to make them extra secure.



Lastly, I strung the stars together with twine and hung them in our freshly painted mudroom (still such a work in process so I haven't shared a reveal yet).



You know what I love about this? I can leave it up past Christmas and right into winter. I might even bring them back out for the 4th of July.



Also, I can't get enough about the scale of this garland. Garlands are typically filled with smaller things and this just has such presence!



It's always a bonus when I can finish a project and sit back and smile, rather than critique myself. That, is unfortunately, kind of rare.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.