Thursday, May 1, 2014

Simple, Rustic Potting Bench

*I was compensated for this post with supplies, however all content, thoughts and opinions are my own.
 
Happy May!
 
I am wishing for a springy month as it has still been pretty cold here in the northeast! In fact, our heat has kept turning on over the last few days.
 
While it was still a bit chilly (but at least not pouring) earlier this week, I took the time to strip the top of this fun table.
 



Don't you find stripping furniture to be the most tedious thing ever? But, I could totally picture this piece to be two-toned so I went with it. After some waiting, scraping, sanding and cleaning I finished the top with General Finishes Gel Stain in Java. I've had great results using this stain every single time. And that is totally saying a lot because, for as much furniture as I paint, staining always makes me super nervous.
 
Here's a before shot...
 
 
 
I wanted the entire table to be neutral so that the fun shape could shine. Aren't the sides the coolest?
 
 
 
So, for the remainder of the table I painted it with General Finishes paint in Millstone. This is the first time I have used this particular shade and it is a nice, tan-based neutral a couple of shades deeper than cream.
 
 
 
Of course, you could use this table for anything, but I just completely picture it as a plant stand/potting bench.  It's a great size for a small space and the rustic feels lends itself nicely to the plants.
 
 
 
Local friends: This one is for sale. Message me if interested!

9 comments:

  1. Ugh, yes stripping furniture is so annoying! But it was worth all the work because it looks amazing now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your effort paid off. Simply charming. Happy May day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. super cute! love how you have it styled, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool table & a great transformation!
    The plants just pop with the color you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously love that table and the colors you picked for it. It's perfect as a potting table. I know I've been to your blog before because I remember that cabinet in your dining room, so I decided to quit messing around and become a subscriber. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela this table is very cute. Love the wood top and that clay pot has so much character.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous table, I love the colours you chose and the styling is perfect.

    Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun shaped table! Your makeover is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.